Thursday, December 4, 2008

Second Cardiologist meeting

Meeting is not the right word. Meeting sounds like you're all equals at a table. I am sitting on a paper covered bed in a cramped room. It was a waste of time, as they hadn't yet gotten my records from the other cardiologist. Except for one final exchange, born out of frustration. I expressed my concern with how long this was all taking and the concern I had about having another heart attack...a big one. My doctor said I would be fine and he would make sure I lived a long life. I immediately countered, " I don't want you to make sure I live a long time, that's out of all of our control. I want you to improve the quality of my life for however long I live." I wanted quality over hollow assurances of quantity. For the first time, I really said what I was feeling.

No comments: